Last updated: February 12, 2022
For my 40th birthday, I wanted to do something fun.
So I rented out America’s largest indoor waterpark.
It was great fun. Honestly, it was like a dream. I was so happy.
Here are some of my favorite photos.
When: December 8th, 2021
Where: Kalahari Resorts Waterpark in Round Rock, Texas
Who: 30 of my Austin friends. I think there were more staff and lifeguards than attendees 😅
I love doing crazy birthday parties — look what I did for my 36th birthday at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. SUMMER CAMP!
Flowrider Surfing Photos
Usually there is a 20-minute wait to get time on this surf ride.
Then you can only surf for 30 or 60 seconds. Or less if you fall off.
But there were no lines for my birthday! People got in a LOT of practice time.
Thai Massage and AcroYoga
There’s a risk of injury with old people (like me) and waterparks.
So I hired my favorite masseuse, Rachel, to give Thai massages on-site.
My friend Jason Nemer is also an expert at Acroyoga. He invented it!
Jason volunteered to fly some people and help release any waterslide tension.
More Great Photos
Lessons Learned and Conclusion
This was so much fun!
Some things I learned:
- It was way less expensive than you’d think (under $10k).
- I paid $500 extra to have the wave pool opened up. Nobody used it.
- We could either do the buyout before opening hours (8AM-10AM), or after it was closed (9PM to midnight). I’m glad we did it in the morning. It was a big ask to get people to wake up so early, but everyone was so full of energy and happy.
- I am glad that Rachel, the masseuse, was there. She was busy the whole time and everyone loved her.
- I hired a DJ through the venue (around $300) and he played 80s and 90s hip hop. Very good and fun.
- I moved to Austin less than a year ago from New York City. It is wild to think how many new friends I’ve made. Most all of them have come from me hosting my small cocktail parties.
- Do you want to make more friends in your town? Or learn how to “network” and boost your career without it feeling gross? I wrote a how-to guide about what has worked for me, check it out here (called “The 2-Hour Cocktail Party”).
In conclusion, I’m happy that I have so many crazy friends who would join me early on a Wednesday morning to ride water slides.
Life is about the memories we make! This will be an excellent memory.
Each year on the exact date of my birthday, I like to do something fun. Previously:
- Private Party at The Met Museum For My 36th Birthday
- [VIDEO] My 35th Birthday Party
- My Sister Emily’s 30th Birthday Party
- My 30th Birthday at The Met
- The 2-Hour Cocktail Party
Original post: December 13, 2021 -- Last updated: February 12, 2022