Last updated: October 11, 2023
Roatan is famous for SCUBA. It is also home to an excellent freediving community.
Sean Naficy took these pictures of me one day as we were diving off the Grand Roatan Resort beach.
Where to Freedive in Roatan
There are a few locations that you can easily freedive from the beach in Roatan. One of my favorites is right near the Grand Roatan Resort.
Check out his girlfriend’s Instagram @samunderthesea for more freediving pics.
Grand Roatan Resort in Honduras
We entered the beach right off the Grand Roatan Resort, where I stayed for a few days. I wrote about the resort and SCUBA diving in my notes and photos here: Roatan, Honduras: Pictures and Notes
Freediving Schools in Roatan
These are some SCUBA shops which will help you to do freediving in Roatan. The only one that I personally have used was at the aforementioned resort.
2017 Freediving Competition (VIDEO)
In 2017, there was a major freediving competition in Roatan. Here is a recap and overview from YouTube:
More Roatan Photos
- @SamUnderTheSea on Instagram
- Previously, I blogged about: Freediving in Thailand
- Also: Freediving in Thailand: My Workshop Notes
- When I go back to Roatan, I’d love to go check out classes at Roatan Freediving School & Training Center
- I did a lot of SCUBA with friends in Roatan and wrote about it here: Roatan, Honduras: Pictures and Notes