A few people have asked me: What do you do all day?
Especially now in quarantine while I’m away from New York City.
And especially since I sold my company and don’t have a job.
So here’s a little diary from a fairly typical morning in St. Augustine, Florida.
6:00am Wake Up
- Naturally wake up. I don’t use an alarm.
- The first apps I check on my phone: WhatsApp, Facebook, email, NYTimes.
- Eat a grapefruit.
- Make a pot of 1/2 decaf coffee.
- Listen to a podcast while I putter around.
- Empty the dishwasher.
- I have 15 messages in my In Box. Most of them are newsletters or schedule-related.
- Often the newsletters include interesting links about current events, which I click to read.
- I listened to this song while I read through my emails.
- Wake up Rachel. She uses an alarm (me). I like waking her up.
- Buy a better scale. I remembered that we recently impulse-bought a digital scale at Target. I looked up the reviews for it on Amazon and saw that it was difficult to sync to Apple HealthKit. So I ordered a different scale which was well-reviewed on Wirecutter. Researching options and ordering it took a few minutes.
- Test the Principles In Action iOS app on the app store.
- Shave and trim my beard.
- Listen to a Bridgewater case study from the Principles app while I shave. (Ray Dalio is a hero.)
- Submit my beta testing feedback to the Principles team.
- Scroll through Twitter.
- Read and handle new emails, including one regarding legal advice on writing a will.
- I went outside to do this 7 Minute Workout. I wore one AirPod so I could hear the prompts and not have to look at my phone.
- Afterwards, I did some stretching using my favorite stretching app.
Rachel and I went for a quick dip in the ocean. I am very thankful that we’re living on the beach this month.
8:45am Cook Food
- Put bacon and kale in the oven. I used tips from this kale recipe.
- Make more coffee.
- Eat breakfast.
- Listen to more of the podcast from earlier.
- Tell Rachel about Bill Ackman and his Herbalife short.
- Read an investment report from a portfolio manager. I’m thinking about investing in a business development company.
- Donate to a friend’s charity fundraiser.
- Fiddle with Google Chrome’s settings to automatically fill out forms with my correct contact information.
- Read up on some Museum Hack and TeamBuilding.com news. It is AMAZING what they are working on!
- Research vitamins related to hair growth and hair loss. I’ve noticed more shedding recently – I’m losing hair in the shower. Previously, I was taking Nutrafol, but when we fled NYC I didn’t bring it. Four pills a day was a lot to pack. Bought this to try as an alternative to Nutrafol.
- Quick phone call w/my father.
- Quick phone call w/my mother. I love quick phone calls.
- Read some assorted financial news on Bloomberg.
- Researched investor relations firms, which I would later compile into a huge list.
- Looked at Twitter again and clicked on a few links. I saved a few to read later, like this and this.
- Joined a webinar regarding a project I’m working on.
I spent a lot of time reading and researching various topics. That’s pretty typical for how I spend my time lately.
I’m happy with my life right now. It doesn’t feel very productive, but I get to explore a lot and read about interesting things.
I’m spending time on the beach, in the ocean, and in my body. And lots of time in the kitchen as I learn how to cook.
Do you have any suggestions to improve my productivity? Or things I should explore? Let me know in the comments. Or send me an email. Thanks for reading!
Get the BEST Business Tips and Productivity Hacks
Work smart and improve your life. Enter your email to join my free Friends Newsletter. You'll get the best tips to boost your career. Read about new productivity hacks, plus see the business articles that I'm reading. Join 7000+ subscribers and find out why investors, CEOs, and museum curators love to get my early trends.