Last updated: October 11, 2023
A few people have asked me: What do you do all day?
Especially now in quarantine while I’m away from New York City.
And especially since I sold my company and don’t have a job.
So here’s a little diary from a fairly typical morning in St. Augustine, Florida.
6:00am Wake Up
- Naturally wake up. I don’t use an alarm.
- The first apps I check on my phone: WhatsApp, Facebook, email, NYTimes.
- Eat a grapefruit.
- Make a pot of 1/2 decaf coffee.
- Listen to a podcast while I putter around.
- Empty the dishwasher.
- I have 15 messages in my In Box. Most of them are newsletters or schedule-related.
- Often the newsletters include interesting links about current events, which I click to read.
- I listened to this song while I read through my emails.
- Wake up Rachel. She uses an alarm (me). I like waking her up.
- Buy a better scale. I remembered that we recently impulse-bought a digital scale at Target. I looked up the reviews for it on Amazon and saw that it was difficult to sync to Apple HealthKit. So I ordered a different scale which was well-reviewed on Wirecutter. Researching options and ordering it took a few minutes.
- Test the Principles In Action iOS app on the app store.
- Shave and trim my beard.
- Listen to a Bridgewater case study from the Principles app while I shave. (Ray Dalio is a hero.)
- Submit my beta testing feedback to the Principles team.
- Scroll through Twitter.
- Read and handle new emails, including one regarding legal advice on writing a will.
- I went outside to do this 7 Minute Workout. I wore one AirPod so I could hear the prompts and not have to look at my phone.
- Afterwards, I did some stretching using my favorite stretching app.
Rachel and I went for a quick dip in the ocean. I am very thankful that we’re living on the beach this month.
8:45am Cook Food
- Put bacon and kale in the oven. I used tips from this kale recipe.
- Make more coffee.
- Eat breakfast.
- Listen to more of the podcast from earlier.
- Tell Rachel about Bill Ackman and his Herbalife short.
- Read an investment report from a portfolio manager. I’m thinking about investing in a business development company.
- Donate to a friend’s charity fundraiser.
- Fiddle with Google Chrome’s settings to automatically fill out forms with my correct contact information.
- Read up on some Museum Hack and TeamBuilding.com news. It is AMAZING what they are working on!
- Research vitamins related to hair growth and hair loss. I’ve noticed more shedding recently – I’m losing hair in the shower. Previously, I was taking Nutrafol, but when we fled NYC I didn’t bring it. Four pills a day was a lot to pack. Bought this to try as an alternative to Nutrafol.
- Quick phone call w/my father.
- Quick phone call w/my mother. I love quick phone calls.
- Read some assorted financial news on Bloomberg.
- Researched investor relations firms, which I would later compile into a huge list.
- Looked at Twitter again and clicked on a few links. I saved a few to read later, like this and this.
- Joined a webinar regarding a project I’m working on.
I spent a lot of time reading and researching various topics. That’s pretty typical for how I spend my time lately.
I’m happy with my life right now. It doesn’t feel very productive, but I get to explore a lot and read about interesting things.
I’m spending time on the beach, in the ocean, and in my body. And lots of time in the kitchen as I learn how to cook.
Do you have any suggestions to improve my productivity? Or things I should explore? Let me know in the comments. Or send me an email. Thanks for reading!