I hired a private tour guide while visiting Chongqing, China in August 2017.
Here are the best things he showed me in one day.
Huguang Guild Hall
- Tells the story of migrant history in Chongqing
- Many opera stages
- Museum inside was neat
- “Emperor Test” is a fun photo opportunity
- Traditional clothes for sale were very nice
Cable Car Over Yangtze River
This was touristy but seemed worth doing. Nice for pictures, too.
- Many Chinese movies filmed here
- 30 RMB round trip return price ticket
- 30 minutes each way, approx including line time
- Nice views
- 2 Gold Buildings: Sheraton Hotel
- DongShui Men Bridge nearby
Lunch at Local People Place
For lunch, my Chongqing private tour guide took me to a chain restaurant called “Jhu Qwai”
Here’s what I ordered:
Clockwise from top left:
- Smoked pork with cauliflower, 12 RMB
- Spicy chicken, 16 RMB
- Boiled peanuts, 3 RMB
- Steamed white rice, 1 RMB
- Chinese cabbage, 3 RMB
The entrance and logo looks like this. If you see it, you can go anywhere! The food is clean and there are many options.
Carrefour Grocery store
We saw tea, pastries, and meat. This was a nice chance to see a Chinese grocery store.
This place is like a New Antique Disneyland. Hard to describe, but it is featured in most “Must-See” lists for Chongqing.
It is 11 floors. We went to the 10th floor and 4th floor. You can focus on those two floors to save time.
Monorail City Ride
Chongqing is famous for having a monorail that zips through buildings and underneath bridges.
To ride this same route, get on the line here at Daxigou:
- Start at Daxigou: Go towards Yudong
- End at Taping: Turn around
Three Gorges Museum
- Video introduction, I watched the first 20 minutes of it and enjoyed it
- 1st floor: Three Gorges, statue of men pulling boats from shore
- 2nd floor: Development and history of Chong Xing
- 3rd Floor: I think I skipped it
- 4th Floor: Donated collection and porcelain exhibit
The interior of the viewing tower reminds me of 1 World Trade Center in NYC! The style of the slanted windows, recessed walkways on the window borders, etc.
The decorations are modern, such as a living plant wall. But the operators have taken to adding a larger-than-life Incredible Hulk statue and Hello Kitty statues.
It was sparsely attended, perhaps due to the large cost of a ticket (168 RMB).
My Tour Guide
David Liao Jun
We Chat: 13368052122
Cell Phone: (+86) 13368052122
My tour guide David opens the taxi door for me to begin our day adventure.
More Things to See in Chongqing
These are other things that can be seen with some more time.
- Chongqing Zoo: Pandas are the most famous. (I saw pandas in Chengdu too).
- Park high point:: Eling (UHH-LING) Park.
- Top of Building: World Financial Capital
- Dinosaur Museum: Fan outside museum. They call it Natural Museum.
- Old Town, a must visit on every list
Looking out at the city on takeoff… amazing scope and scale and size. Skyscrapers as far as the eye can see.
Filmed on my flight out, great light on Chongqing
More travel diaries from this trip:
- I Saw Wild, New, and Interesting Things in China
- Real Chinese Food: Lunch in Leshan, China
- Emei Mountain: Hiking Tips and Photos
- Panda Zoo in Chengdu, China
- Waiting for Push-ups: Travel to China