Friends Newsletter: Productivity
Hello from New York City!
In this issue: Productivity workshop notes, What makes a GREAT video conference, Tools that I’m using / loving, and a few fun / smart / interesting links.
Question: What’s your favorite thing that you’ve bought in the past year? Email me back and I’ll include the best ones I hear.
- Story Slicer iPhone app: Cut long videos to fit on social stories. I’ve been posting a lot on my Instagram story and this works for that. Heard about it at LessDoing
- Focusmate: “Virtual coworking helps you get things done.” You get paired up in a video conference with someone, and you hold each other accountable to do remote work in a 50-minute session, via Michael Galpert on Twitter
- Mail-tester.com: Test the spammy-ness of your email newsletter.
- Aaptiv, iPhone and Android app: I’ve been using this workout app for a few months, every so often. I like it and I’m a paying subscriber. Great for a little added motivation for a hotel or gym workout.
- Introducing 184.108.40.206: Cloudflare launches “the Internet’s fastest DNS directory” with more privacy protections. Seems legit. I just did this on my Mac and my phone, via Michael Alexis in the Museum Hack internal Slack
Productivity Workshop: Less Doing Notes
I’m a sucker for business conferences and workshops.
|The other week I attended the Less Doing Live 2018 workshop in Miami, Florida. It was hosted at an incredible full-floor studio with great views of Miami Beach.|
Some quotes I wrote down:
- “If you want to know what it’s like to have five kids: Imagine you’re drowning, and then someone hands you a child.”
- “Why do entrepreneurs have to put out so many fires? Because we’re arsonists.” Dan Sullivan
- “You don’t get what you deserve. You get what you tolerate.” Tony Robbins
Read all of my notes from the workshop on my blog.
Sally Hogshead Is A Very Good Keynote Speaker
Sally Hogshead speaking on stage. For us, she did a video call.
|Usually, I hate when business conferences try to hotswap live video for a legit keynote presentation. Have you ever seen it done well?|
It works poorly for a variety of reasons:
- The speaker can’t read the room
- There’s audio / video lag due to bad wifi
- Q&A is painful
Mostly, the speaker can’t read the room. So they drag on, and the audience (ME) get bored easily. But last week, for the first time ever, I saw a keynote presentation via video conferencing done SUPER well.
FUN: Real Hackstory Of The World’s Worst Midlife Crisis
Stede, living the dream.
|Have you ever seen the movie Trainspotting? It’s mostly about Scottish heroin addicts and Iggy Pop, but it’s also about the choice people—and maybe men, more often—sometimes make to be self-destructive for no rational reason.|
And, while this is the story of Stede Bonnet, who was an English pirate (briefly) in the 1700s, I think the opening monologue for that movie applies here pretty well: “Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f*cking big television”—OK, maybe not that last bit.
Read: Great Twitter thread on Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) current market dynamics: 1/ Everyone in consumer is trying to figure out how to play emerging CPG (<$15m in revenue). EVERYONE. Every public CPG company, every retailer, every consumer VC and PE firm, every meaningful public investor. EVERYONE. Here is why.
Video: 7 Minute Workout
Great easy workout at home or on the road
Article: How much to spend on an engagement ring
Written by my friend Ramit Sethi
Must watch: “The Missing (BBC) is the best thing I’ve seen in a while”
TV tip from Michael Alexis
Quote: “Nobody talks about Jesus’ miracle of having 12 close friends in his 30s” via @Mormonger on Twitter
|Thanks for reading!|
For an article I’m still working on for next issue: What’s the best purchase you’ve made in the past year?
It could be a thing, object, service, or an experience.
Reply on my Facebook post here or write me an email.
|In museums we trust,|
Founder (and now former CEO!) of Museum Hack